We are no longer accepting applications for the Astellas Oncology C3 Prize. Three winning Entrants will each receive one of three grants: one $50,000 grant and two $25,000 grants. Finalists will be notified on or about August 15, 2016 and invited to pitch their ideas in front of a live panel of judges at the Stanford Medicine X conference on September 17, 2016.
Included in the panel is leading technology entrepreneur, passionate cancer patient caregiver and one of the stars of ABC’s Emmy Award-winning hit television show Shark Tank, Robert Herjavec.
The grand prize winner will be announced in October, at the 2016 European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Congress in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The C3 Prize is looking for an idea to develop a new innovation that addresses a major issue in cancer care including but not limited to, at least one of the following areas:
Astellas is proud to partner with the World Medical Innovation Forum, Stanford Medicine X and MATTER on this challenge.
Please see our Terms & Conditions for all eligibility information:
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. CHALLENGE IS OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (INCLUDING PUERTO RICO AND ALL OTHER U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS) AND WORLDWIDE, EXCEPT FOR BRAZIL, CRIMEA, CUBA, IRAN, SYRIA, NORTH KOREA, AND SUDAN.
ENTRY IN THIS CHALLENGE CONSTITUTES ENTRANT ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The Astellas Oncology C3 Prize Challenge (the “Challenge”) is a skill Challenge designed to inspire innovative solutions in cancer care and demonstrate commitment to patients with cancer and caregivers. The entry, including videos, will be evaluated by judges who will choose the winning Entrants (defined below) in accordance with these Rules. The prizes will be awarded to Entrants with the highest scores. See below for the complete details.
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Challenge, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. By submitting an entry in the Challenge, Entrants agree to these Rules. Entrants may not submit an entry to the Challenge and are not eligible to receive any prize described in these Rules unless they agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between Entrants and Astellas with respect to the Challenge.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Challenge, you (“Entrant”) must: (1) be above the age of majority in the country, state, province, or jurisdiction of residence (and at least twenty (20) years old in Taiwan) at the time of entry; (2) not be a resident of Brazil, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, or Sudan; (3) not be a person or entity under U.S. export controls or sanctions; and (4) have access to the Internet as of April 25, 2016. Challenge is void in Brazil, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, and where prohibited by law. Employees, interns, contractors, and official office-holders of Astellas Pharma Inc., its subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotion agencies, representatives, and agents (“Challenge Entities”), and members of the Challenge Entities and their immediate families (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each, regardless of where they live) and members of the households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, and directors are ineligible to participate in this Challenge. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time.
If Entrants are entering as part of a company or other entity or on behalf of their employer, these rules are binding on each Entrant, individually, and/or such company/entity or their employer. If Entrants are acting within the scope of their employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, they warrant that such party has full knowledge of their actions and has consented thereto, including to the terms of these Rules and the Entrants’ potential receipt of a prize. Entrants further warrant that their actions do not violate their employer’s or such company’s/entity’s policies and procedures. It is not necessary for Healthcare Provider Entrants to prescribe, or intend to prescribe in the future, any medicine or product marketed by Astellas, and this will not be a consideration in the selection criteria.
3. SPONSOR: The Challenge is sponsored by Astellas Pharma US, Inc. (“Astellas” or “Sponsor”), an Illinois company with offices at 1 Astellas Way, Northbrook, IL 60062, USA.
4. CHALLENGE PERIOD: The Challenge begins at 12:00:00 A.M. Central Time (CT) Zone in the United States on April 25, 2016 and ends at 11:59:59 P.M. CT on August 8, 2016 (“Challenge Period”). ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
5. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of being selected a finalist depend on the number of eligible entries received.
6. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Challenge during the Challenge Period, complete the online form, including an original video (“Video”) of no more than three (3) minutes in length, that describes an idea to develop a new innovation that addresses a major issue in cancer care including but not limited to, at least one of the following areas:
iii. Care Coordination
Each Video must be no longer than three (3) minutes in length, in .mp4, .mov, .wmv or .avi format and meet the “Video Requirements”, described below. After reviewing the form and making the video, visit www.C3Prize.com and follow the instructions to complete the online form provided and upload your Video to enter.
LIMIT ONE (1) VIDEO ENTRY PER ENTRANT THROUGHOUT THE CHALLENGE PERIOD. Entrants may only use one (1) email address/account as part of your form to participate in the Challenge. All Videos must be received by 11:59 p.m. (CT) on August 8, 2016 and subsequently received Videos will be disqualified. Videos are void if they are in whole or part incomplete, altered, counterfeit, obtained through fraud, or late. All Videos will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry, and the potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that email address. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain.
7. VIDEO REQUIREMENTS: In addition to meeting the criteria in section 6 above, each Video must also meet the following criteria:
(a) It must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous, or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, indecent, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Challenge.
(b) It must not contain content, material, or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, state, provincial, or local laws and regulations in any state or other jurisdiction where Video is created.
(c) It must not contain any content, material, or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark, or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Challenge, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
(d) It must be an original, unpublished work that does not contain, incorporate, or otherwise use any content, material, or element that is owned by or subject to any rights of a third party or entity.
(e) It cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy, or intellectual property rights.
The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who submits a Video that does not meet the Video Requirements as determined by Sponsor.
8. JUDGING: Online forms and Videos will be judged by a panel of experts (“Judges”) throughout the Challenge Period. Judges have significant healthcare and/or patient care experience. Online forms and videos will be evaluated by the Judges based on the following criteria: (i) plausibility of idea (35%); (ii) creativity and originality of innovation (35%); and (iii) ability of Entrant to operationalize/implement the innovative idea for future application (30%).
Judges will evaluate each form and Video and attribute a score of 1 to 10 for each of the above-listed criteria. The five (5) Entrants that receive the highest overall scores will be selected as the potential “Finalists”. In the event of a tie, the Entrant(s) that received the higher score from the Judges in the category of “plausibility of idea” will be selected as the potential Finalist(s). If there is still a tie, the tied entries will be re-judged by a different panel of qualified judges as determined by the Sponsor. In the event a potential Finalist is disqualified for any reason, the form and Video that received the next highest total score will be chosen as the potential Finalist. Entrants acknowledge that judging of this kind is by its nature subjective.
On or about August 15, 2016, the five (5) potential Finalists will be selected and notified by email, mail and/or phone, at Sponsor’s discretion. If a potential Finalist does not respond to the notification attempt within five (5) days from the notification attempt, then such potential Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate potential Finalist will be selected from among all eligible Applicants received based on the judging criteria described herein. Except where prohibited by law, each potential Finalist will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information, such as that referenced in section 11 below, that may be required by Sponsor. Potential Finalists must return all such required documents within five (5) days following attempted notification or such potential Finalist will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential Finalist will be selected based on the judging criteria described herein. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced. In the event that no forms and Videos are received, no prize will be awarded. Subject to section 10 below regarding prize substitutions, if there are at least five (5) submissions in compliance with the rules, all prizes will be awarded. Determinations of judges are final and binding.
9. FINALIST JUDGING SESSION: Each of the five (5) Finalists will receive a trip to Stanford’s Medicine X meeting scheduled to take place in Stanford, California USA from September 16 - 18, 2016 to present their innovative idea. Each Finalist will receive fifteen (15) minutes to present their idea with ten (10) minutes for presentation and five (5) minutes for Q&A in front of a panel of experts. The experts will review each of the presentations based on the criteria and scoring process identified in section 8 above. The one (1) Finalist presentation that receives the highest overall score will be selected as the potential Grand Prize winner. The two (2) Finalist presentations that receive the next highest overall scores will be selected as the potential First Prize winners. The same procedures described above for a tie will apply here.
10. PRIZES: Three (3) prizes will be awarded as follows:
Grand Prize (1): A grant of $50,000 USD and a one year membership to MATTER. Astellas may also, at its sole discretion, assist winner in developing his/her idea.
First Prizes (2): A grant of $25,000 USD and a one year membership to MATTER. Astellas may also, at its sole discretion, assist winner in developing his/her idea.
Finalist Prizes (5): Each of the Finalists will receive a trip to Stanford’s Medicine X meeting scheduled to take place in Stanford, California USA from September 16 - 18, 2016. Trip consists of a three (3) day, two (2) night trip to California, USA. Includes economy class air transportation from a major international gateway airport closest to winner’s home (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) to California, USA, arrival and departure transfers between the airport and hotel, two (2) night hotel accommodations at a hotel designated by Sponsor. The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Finalist Prize: $3,500 USD. The ARV of each Finalist Prize may vary based on the commercial airport nearest Finalist’s permanent residence, as well as hotel fluctuations at the time of travel. Travel must be completed on dates specified by Sponsor or prize will be forfeited and Sponsor will have no further obligation to such Finalist. Finalist will be responsible for obtaining all required travel documents and inoculation (e.g., passport, visa, valid photo ID) prior to travel. Finalists are solely responsible for any and all expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the Finalist prize description herein, including but not limited to ground transfers between Finalist’s residence and airport of departure, additional ground transportation while in California not specified as part of the prize, in-room charges (e.g., mini-bar, room service, telephone, movies), meals and beverages, gratuities, travel upgrades, baggage fees, and personal incidentals. Finalists may be required to provide a valid major credit card or some other acceptable form of payment, as determined in the hotel’s sole discretion upon hotel check-in and all in-room charges, telephone calls, meals, beverages, hotel upgrades, amenities, personal incidentals, and any other expenses charged to the Finalist’s hotel room will be charged to that major valid credit card or deducted from the deposit provided. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels or other transportation companies or any other persons providing any of these services and accommodations to passengers including any results thereof such as changes in services or accommodations necessitated by same. Sponsor shall not be liable for any loss or damage to baggage. If a Finalist becomes disabled or cannot otherwise fully enjoy the prize due to illness, Sponsor shall have the option at its sole discretion of being relieved of liability for fulfillment of the prize and no other compensation in lieu of the prize will be awarded. Finalists are responsible for obtaining their own medical and life insurance and the associated costs. All travel is subject to any and all restrictions instituted by the U.S. Department of Defense and/or Department of Homeland Security, as required.
No transfer, substitution, or cash equivalent for prizes is allowed, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize, in whole or in part, of equal or greater monetary value if a prize cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, as described for any reason. Value is subject to market conditions, which can fluctuate and any difference between actual market value and ARV will not be awarded. Challenge Entities have not made and are not making, and Challenge Entities are not responsible in any manner for any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to the prize, or regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize, including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose, with the exception of any standard manufacturer's warranty that may apply to the prize or any components thereto.
11. TAXES: RECEIPT OF PRIZES TO POTENTIAL WINNERS/FINALISTS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO ASTELLAS ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY ASTELLAS TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, PROVINCIAL, LOCAL, AND FOREIGN TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS. THIS MAY REQUIRE THE SUBMISSION OF WINNER SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS FOR TAX REPORTING PURPOSES. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES ASTELLAS IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS/FINALISTS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER TAXES HAVE BEEN SO WITHHELD. In order to receive a prize, potential winners may be required to submit the tax documentation requested by Astellas or otherwise required by applicable law, to Astellas or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law, including, where relevant, the law of the potential winner’s country of residence. The potential winners are responsible for ensuring that (s)he complies with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Astellas may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative potential winner.
12. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply. Astellas reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Challenge if, in Astellas’ sole discretion, it believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Challenge by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens, or harasses any other Entrants, viewers, Astellas, or the Judges.
13. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Astellas and the Entrant, the Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the form and Video. Entrants are responsible for securing proper protections. Astellas will not assume ownership responsibility. Entrants are responsible for ensuring they are not infringing on property of another individual or entity. As a condition of entry, Entrant grants Astellas, its subsidiaries, agents, and partner companies, a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display a Video: (1) for the purposes of allowing Astellas and the Judges to evaluate the Video for purposes of the Challenge, and (2) in connection with advertising and promotion of the C3 Prize via communication to the public or other groups, including, but not limited to, the right to make screenshots, animations, and Video clips available for advertising and promotional purposes.
15. PUBLICITY: By accepting a prize, Entrant agrees to Sponsor and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness and Video for advertising and promotional purposes of the C3 Prize without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. As described in section 8, Entrants may be asked to complete a publicity release.
16. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants warrant that their Videos are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Video and all content therein and that they have the right to submit the Video in the Challenge and grant all required licenses without the need for any consent, permission, or approval of any other entity or person (including without limitation any consent, permission, or approval that might already have been obtained). Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Video that knowingly (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights, or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity, or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates the applicable state, federal, provincial, or local law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Challenge Entities at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, and expenses resulting from any act, default, or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any representation or warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Challenge Entities from and against any and all claims, actions, suits, or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any Video or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by the Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent, or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the Entrant in connection with the Challenge; (c) any non-compliance by the Entrant with these Rules; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the Entrant’s involvement with the Challenge; (e) acceptance, possession, misuse, or use of any prize or participation in any Challenge-related activity or participation in this Challenge; (f) any malfunction or other problem with the Challenge Site; (g) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information; or (h) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering, or announcement of any prize or winners.
17. ELIMINATION: Any false or incorrect information provided within the context of the Challenge by any Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right, or non-compliance with these Rules, or the like, may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant from the Challenge.
18. INTERNET AND OTHER TECHNICAL ISSUES: Challenge Entities are not responsible for any malfunction or for any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, undeliverable, or destroyed Videos due to system errors, failed, incomplete, or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Challenge Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital, or satellite malfunctions which may limit an Entrant’s ability to participate.
19. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Challenge is not capable of running as sponsor intended, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Challenge, Astellas reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Challenge and if terminated, Astellas may elect to determine the potential winners for the Challenge from among all eligible Entrants received prior to action taken using the judging criteria specified above. Astellas further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who violates these Official Rules or tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Challenge or Challenge Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any website, including the Challenge Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Challenge is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Astellas reserves the right to seek any and all remedies available from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
20. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Video into the Challenge, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Astellas, or the Challenge Entities. Entrant acknowledges that your Video has been submitted voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrant acknowledges that no confidential, fiduciary, agency, or other relationship, or implied-in-fact contract now exists between them and Astellas or the Challenge Entities and that no such relationship is established by your submission of a Video under these Rules.
21. FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief, or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Challenge are hereby excluded, and all Entrants expressly waive any and all such rights.
22. ARBITRATION: By entering the Challenge, Entrant agrees that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute, claim, or demand related in any way to the Challenge will be decided by binding arbitration. All disputes between Entrant and Astellas of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of these Rules, shall be submitted to Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (“JAMS”) for binding arbitration under its rules then in effect in the State of Illinois, USA, before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The parties agree to share equally in the arbitration costs incurred.
23. WINNER’S LIST: You may request a list of winners after November 3, 2016 by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: C3 Prize Winners, c/o Tyler Marciniak, 1 Astellas Way S5.203, Northbrook, IL 60062.